25 February 2006

"Scientific" Papers

The most annoying thing about research paper that I found is the fact that you can hide incompetent writing by burying it in a vat of ambiguous and techno-centric terms. Not only can I not read them without the aid of one of those contraptions from Clockwork Orange, but when I finally got through the paper I promptly forgot what I read.

A few gripes include:
1.) Authors like to abbreviate everything into a footnote, which though it is convenient, makes the paper REALLY hard to understand. A good example is: "Several recent studies, such as [1] have examined I/O patterns for commercial applications or desktop environments." If it is a 20 page paper, you have to flip to the very end of the paper each and everytime those annoying numbers in square brackets come up.

2.) If I notice grammatical error in a paper, then it must be REALLY badly written...because my grammar is awful. An example: "CDN more efficient."

3.) Equations. Equations. Equations. When in doubt, populate the paper with cryptic greek symbols. Then the conference committee will believe your paper is very important and worthy of presentation.

4.) Dedicate the last few pages to references. The more pages to your research paper, the more "substance" it has...superficially.

No comments: