10 September 2006

Atlantis Launch

Upon discovering that Atlantis launch schedule was delayed to Saturday, I asked a few people if they wanted to go see the launch with me near the beach. I've never seen a space shuttle launch, and was a bit crestfallen when I found out that one must buy a ticket in advance to watch the launch at Cape Canaveral. Unfortunately as a NG employee, it would be difficult to go and watch the launch, especially when faced with potential unexpected delays.

Chris decided that he would go and watch the launch with me, and initially we were going to head to Cocoa Beach. But I ended up waking up at 9 AM (I spent an hour talking to my mother on the phone in the previous evening, and didn't sleep until almost 2 AM), and the closest we could drive to was the Patrick Air Force Base.

There was a crowd of people standing on the beach, with their views toward the launch pad, just a faintly white and grey monolith in the middle of the ocean.

When the shuttle launched (and it had launched 5 min earlier than its target time), it tore through the sky, disappearing into clouds and reappearing in the sky. A bright flare can be seen even in so many miles away.

Initial ascent, piercing the clouds


Initial ascent...clear sky all the way

After two minutes into the launch, the solid rocket boosters separated from the shuttle and the external tank. In my mind I was exceedingly nervous...please, please let the separation be successful. NASA is already at the end of its tethers. One more mistake, and the whole space program could be scrapped for at least another decade.

Initial separation of SRBs


Ejection!!!


SRBs fall back into the ocean, awaiting retrieval

What a beautiful sight, the researchers slowly (relatively speaking) made their way into orbit over 200 miles above us. They will be installing some solar panels on the International Space Station to increase its power capacity. I wish the astronauts safe trip to the ISS, and safe return to earth.

1 comment:

Dr. Jaus said...

Wwow!!! (like the registration of the first Airbus A380...) Impressive images of the shuttle launch! I saw it in NASA TV, and it was exciting! I had some dreams: To see a Lockheed SuperConstellation flying (achieved), to see the A380 flying (achieved 4 times), to see a DC3 flying or not (achieved) and... to see one of the shuttles launching or landing... (impossible? Impossible is nothing!)
Congratulations!