21 October 2006

Sleeping In Airports

The Budget Traveler's Guide to Sleeping In Airports

I'm not kidding. That is a real link. With reviews and EVERYTHING. It's too bad that people aren't allowed sleep in the terminals anymore unless they have a valid ticket in hand. Several reviews were dedicated to sleeping in train stations near the airports.

I think I'm going to attend the Paris Air Show 2007. If I can't get NG to fund my trip, I might invest some purchased vacation hours to the journey. Anyone who's interested in going, let me know. The event is in June of 2007. The trade show (aka stuffy businessmen convention) starts early in the week (13th of June), and the general public show starts on the 22nd. If I don't go as NG representative then I'll go for the general public. Price to CDG is quite expensive: Last time I checked (a few days ago) a round trip to Paris is about 1000 USD. I can't wait for the A380 to come out so the fare prices will eventually be cheaper...

Mariscal-Sucre Airport: Quito, Ecuador

Fernando and I were discussing about possibly planespotting at Mariscal-Sucre in Quito, Ecuador before it shuts down in 2010. I've never been to a Latin American country, and having friends in other countries means that I don't have to worry about "being" a tourist during the visit. UIO is one of the few airports located at the heart of a city surrounded by mountains. Kai-Tak International (currently closed) was one of those infamous airports, surrounded not only by mountains and dense buildings, but the landing strip was built on water. If you check out Giancario Giuliano's videos on FlightLevel350.com, with the proper connection you can get yourself 100 feet away from the runway. Of course, one might want to invest in a nice pair of ear plugs for the noise...

4 comments:

Fernando Sanchez said...

of course, I had to go and check what they had to say about UIO, and I liked one of the comments "...as it appears that the families, neighbours, friends, and family pets are here to greet and send off their family members..." it is sooo true about ppl down there, and if you include the fact that the exit from the airport (driving) is very small too, it take a VERY LONG time to get out from the parking lot. Still, I think the view when landing is both gorgeous and scary due to the mountains and the buildings.

DJ Were-Panda said...

Fernando, with you, Ecuadorians can do no wrong. Except the presidents...who likes to sing on stage with scantily clad nubile women. Even the airport in Quito is warm and family oriented in your eyes. And pets, apparently. (!? pet guinea pigs count? ;) Unlike the airports in the rest of the world, which are cold and un-Ecuadorian.

When are you EVER going embrace your true roots and admit that you are REALLY Colombian!?!

Fernando Sanchez said...

no, guinea pigs are not pets, they are meant to be eaten, you don't eat your pets ;)

DJ Were-Panda said...

To a Chinese, food and pet can be synonymous.