21 May 2006

!Bike.isHere() == true

Sometime between Friday and Saturday, my little red Schwinn disappeared. I forgot to lock it to the rail on Friday when I went to pick up Mrs. Chen's bento, but I never thought anyone would take the bike. Today I printed out 40 flyers and put up a few all around the block on Levy St. A couple of neighbors talked to me and asked me about the bike description. While I was walking by I overhead a father questioning his son about a bike. I was going to go ask, but thought better of it, hoping that the flyers will be noticed and someone would be nice enough to return my bike.

The bike meant a lot to me...it was my first bicycle without training wheels. Another word, I didn't learn to ride the bike until I was 17, when I was working full-time for McDonald's. My mother got me a bike so I didn't have to walk 1.25 hour one-way to work every day, because everything in Tampa is so ridiculously far. The bike has its share of problems, ranging from bad chains, sensitive brakes, and a rusty handle bar. Nonetheless, I love that bike.

The culprit left a rusted Huffy in place of my Schwinn, and knocked my Amaryllis over during the heist. Though I am currently very unhappy about the whole week (seems like nothing is working out, with the whole grades not being changed, food poisoning, being yelled at by the instructor I work for, saving money for my move to Melbourne, getting a ticket even though I was parked in a student lot), I must say that I feel more optimistic about human beings in general, when some of the neighbors stopped to talk to me. I felt a little better after my afternoon excursion.

Things aren't really that bad...life has been good to me. I do wish that my little Schwinn will be returned to me soon in one piece...

No comments: