01 March 2007

JFK, here I come.

Finally, an arrival

A few months ago, I was considering very seriously to attend the 2007 Paris Air Show to see the A380. Several of my friends cannot go, and I am currently applying to Florida Tech to get a master's degree in aerospace engineering. If and when I do get accepted, I will need to consider my own finances for the next few years in terms of tuition. So in January, I grudgingly accepted the fact that it is not feasible for me to attend this year. And then yesterday, I received the news that I have been waiting for over a year:

A380 COMING TO JFK AND LAX ON 19 MARCH 2007

When I read the news on Airliners and on NewsFire I literally went haywire. The Airliners forum went crazy for a while and I was no exception. I called up my brother in NYC and told him that I will be visiting him towards the middle of March. I purchased the plane tickets today after work. I haven't slept since last night. Somehow I managed to work through the day running on curry chicken and three shots of espresso.

Photos & Movies

My entire experience with the A380 has been through the blessings of the internet, where I am able to get a glimpse of what other privileged spotters are able to see in person. I hope this will change in a few weeks.

The photo above was taken by Richard W. M. Jones during the Farnborough Air Show 2006. He released it into the public domain via Wikipedia. The image was taken with a Canon Rebel, and he produced an excellent template which I went ahead and did some post processing to enhance the photo. The image above is the result of my smart sharpening/desaturating magenta fringe of the image. Click here to see the original photo for comparison.

Hopefully, after March 19, I will have my very own photo of this magnificent creature...

No comments: