26 May 2007

First Concert Photography

After my first calculus exam, I went home and passed out after work. Around 8 PM, a friend called to remind me of a rock band that is playing in Melbourne. I wasn't awake at that point, so I groggily grabbed Mito and took off.

I was reminded once again why I do not like bars: I went home smelling of cigarettes in my clothes, hair and everywhere. There was a pregnant lady sitting at the corner of the bar smoking. I have not the word to say.

The concert itself was decent...the guitarists are phenomenal but the lead singer could not stay in tune. So instead I focussed on the lighting against the band members and the audience. The music played, and I snapped away...

Bassist

I was honestly surprised that a few shots came out pretty well. I am still new to using ISO levels higher than 400 (on the Panasonic Mito, that was a death wish), but the bassist above came out well enough out of the memory card that other than a light sharpening, I didn't feel the need to post-process him any further.

5 comments:

Light said...

That looks pretty cool. Why does it seem like concerts and smoking always go hand in hand?

Ed said...

That really is pretty good. I can't even tell that's on a high ISO.

BTW, I'm just stalking Zack's friends for fun.

kgh said...

im off to a jam tonight that is smokeless. i just cant do smokey anymore.

shooting in the dark, i used to tape some paper over my flash so i could stop down 2-3 stops and let some natural light in yet be able to fill in the shadows. its also a real challenge for hanf held shots. i took a lesson from a sharp shooter friend of mine, use to be a sniper, "relax, wait for the bottom of your breath, then move just your finger, nothing else, just the finger, gently squeeze off the shot". and also bracing the camera against anything that isn't moving, anything. timer mode shutter and placing the camera on a small bean bag on a table. i find myself in low light all the time taking snapshots. these are the things that have worked for me.

Dr. Jaus said...

Great shoot!! In few months I have to photograph a grean singer friend of me in her first concert... And I'm nervious!! You can give me some good tips!!

Unknown said...

nice shot