12 May 2007

Spotter's Log: Orlando-Sanford International Airport

Can someone explain to me:
  • Why is this airport is BUSIER than Tallahassee Regional (TLH), the capital of Florida?
  • Why there are wide-body aircrafts landing/taking off from this airport?
  • Why are there flights arrive from all over Europe landing at SFB as well as MCO?
  • Why I have never heard of these airlines before?
I'm very confused: SFB is literally 30 miles from MCO...isn't that competition? I understand SFB, like MLB, is a flight training airport, but still...wide-bodies?

Well anyway, on to spotting...

The runway we spotted from is an east/west runway, so lighting was a little tricky. Most airports I've been to (JFK, TPA, MCO) have runways that run north/south, so the best lighting angle can be determined by the time of the day. After listening to KSFB, today's runway for takeoffs/landing is 9L/R (9R for small commuter planes).

Piper, Cessna, Piper...HOLY !@#*!!!?

Boeing 747-344
Airline: Untitled (Air Atlanta Icelandic)
Tail No.: TF-ARU
Runway: 9L

I have no idea why this 747 landed in Sanford, but it caught me by surprise. I was paying close attention to the A330 behind the barbwire fence when May yelled at me to look behind. Before I knew it, the screeching sound of P&W engines sneaked up behind me and I couldn't frame the shot properly. When she flew over me, I realized that I need to bring a pair of earplugs for my next trip.

Tanker competition, in one airline

Some of you might know that US Air Force is currently holding a competition to replace their aging KC-135 tankers. The contenders are: Boeing, with their 767, and Northrop Grumman/EADS North America, with the A330. So imaging a slight smirk on my face when I saw both aircrafts, same airline, one after another, lining up on the runway.

Airbus A330-243
Airline: MyTravel Airways
Tail No.: G-MLJL
Runway: 9L

Boeing 767-31K/ER
Airline: MyTravel Airways
Tail No.: G-DAJC
Runway: 9L

A Subliminal Smile ;)

And finally, a farewell...

Boeing 767-304/ER
Airline: Britannia Airways
Tail No.: G-OBYI
Runway: 9L

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are interesting. However, you've gotta explain more "for the layman" when you hit those occasional aeronautical type terms and airport jargon that some of us do not know about =)

Kiko said...

* Why is this airport is BUSIER than Tallahassee Regional (TLH), the capital of Florida?

Having lived in Deltona, just north of SFB for the majority of my life and having lived in TLH for 8 years, I think I can paint a pretty clear picture about whats going on. Remember, Orlando is the tourist capital of the tourist capital of the world. If you have ever been to Tallahassee, you will understand why there are not widebodies and why there are only a few flights.

* Why there are wide-body aircrafts landing/taking off from this airport?

The airport authority has many incentives to get airlines to fly into there instead of MCO, which they need to do, since SFB is 30miles away from the attractions. All these airlines that fly into SFB are Scheduled Charters from mainly England (which by the way fly from secondary airports in England such as Stansted, Manchester, Birmingham). It keeps cost super low.

* Why are there flights arrive from all over Europe landing at SFB as well as MCO?

The airlines that go to MCO are the main carriers (BA, Virgin, Aer Lingus) The majority of airlines that fly into SFB are startups, and these charter airlines. It helps since costs flying into SFB are dramatically cheaper. Think of these airlines like the Southwest of Europe.

* Why I have never heard of these airlines before?

Unless you are planning to cross the pond and have booked travel with a travel agent then you probably would not have heard about these airlines. These airlines are low cost, low fare, no frills carriers. For families, this is the most economic way to travel. Instead of paying $750 a person on BA you can pay $300 a person on these airlines.

DJ Were-Panda said...

Hey Kiko, thanks a bunch for the explanation! I have been to Tallahassee (in fact lived there for five years), though it seems like a sleepy town it is brimming with student and government activities. With two large universities there, I'd imaging there would be more flights because the student body comes from all over the world (FSU and FAMU are not small colleges either). But I see your point, though the reason TLH is less busy is because students know that flights are expensive via TLH, so they go to other airports, which in turn gives less flights to TLH...basically a Catch 22. As for the low-cost carrier, I've been booking via Yahoo! Travel therefore have never seen these airlines before. Now I know to take down the website addresses located on their livery to book my next flight! :)