18 March 2006

Double Landing


The picture above is actually an untouched optical illusion of two planes parallel to each other in the sky. The original article regarding this image can be found here. Here is a snippet from the article:

(SNIP)
Here is a great optical illusion photo taken of a Lufthansa 747-400 and a United Airlines 757-200 that were on simultaneous approaches to runways 28L and 28R at San Francisco (SFO).

The separation requirement for flying parallel and simultaneous approaches is 225 meters (738 feet). These two aircraft are at a safe distance for the approaches they are each flying.

Due to the Lufthansa 747 being three times larger than the 757 plane and being slightly behind, gives us this incredible optical illusion.
(SNIP)

When I arrived at the Atlanta Airport on the 15 of March, I noticed another plane was flying beside us a few hundred feet away, holding steady. It wasn't until I noticed the landing gear that I realized both planes were to land simultaneously. It was a very very cool spectacle.

Also, I found this great website for aviation enthusiasts like myself. Have a good read!

No comments: