04 March 2006

My Kingdom...For a VIDEO CARD!


I came back from Melbourne, FL on the 3rd of March after several interviews with Northrop Grumman, and I am pretty sure they will make an offer sometime next week. When Gil came by the airport to pick me up, he mentioned that we are stopping by CompUSA. I thought nothing of it.

When we arrived, we walked over to the video card section and immediately a red flag went up in my head. Gil bought a GeForce 6200GT not too long ago (October of 2005) so Civ 4 would be less jerky. Before that, two years ago he bought a 5700 FX for similar reason when he played Never Winter Night.

Gil's brother Jason recently acquired a MMORPG called Dungeons & Dragons Online, and created an account for Gil to log in and play. Now Gil pretty much spends all his free time playing the game, and has currently established himself as a level 5 Wizard. I know too well that as soon as I start playing, I will fail my classes. So I am exerting all my will-powers to NOT play the game. Still...I couldn't resist the temptation to create a character. ;) Right now I'm a level 1 Ranger because I haven't been on any real quest.

At the CompUSA store, Gil wanted to buy a GeForce 7800GT over-clocked. It retailed at over 340 USD, and Gil said it was a "good deal".

Check out the heat sink on this card:

Let me just say that this card is the biggest video card I've seen so far. I thought as time goes on, equipment should get smaller. Apparently, this rule does not apply to video cards. Each card is bigger than the last release. I'm pretty sure the really high end card will eventually take up the whole case.

I can't believe he actually got the card on the board...it looks like the AGP slot will be ripped out from the motherboard just from the sheer weight of that thing!!!

How does it look? Well, when you turn EVERYTHING up (high graphic detail, 4x anti-aliasing, etc), small metallic items such as belt buckles and buttons gleam and glitter beautifully. The individual blade of grass is more pronounced, and there seems to be diffused glow applied throughout game.



However, what makes this addiction for newer video cards so evil is that after 20 minutes of oooohs and aaaaahs, you get use to it and never notice the distinction again.

No comments: