13 January 2007

The Guardian: On Racism

I was browsing through the newsfeed when I encountered this article from The Guardian:

BNP ballerina dances through protest by anti-racists
Mr [Richard] Barnbrook, returning to the subject of Clarke, said she had his full backing and that he did not object to her relationship with Cuban-Chinese dancer Yat-Sen Chang. "She's not racist - she's going out with someone who is not of her own race," he said. But he said, he hoped the couple would not have children.

"I'm not opposed to mixed marriages but their children are washing out the identity of this country's indigenous people," he explained, quickly adding: "That's my view, it's not the party's view."
People who make comments like that disgusts me. We are all progeny from centuries of settlers intermarrying natives, of rape and pillage, of love and hate. You'll never know who you are related to because human history is full of holes. Washing out the identity of this country's indigenous people? Coming from a person who is well aware of the country's notoriety regarding her imperialistic method, I am laughing my ass off.

3 comments:

Light said...

Lovely. Those kinds of people make me feel so wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, Theresa.

kgh said...

i should not have been born? that's just crazy. dilute you.