08 April 2007

D80: Things that fly, things that grow


After my trip to JFK, I started considering getting a DSLR. I didn't expect to want anything more than the Panasonic but alas, the Lumix is not made for spotting. I have learned a lot on that camera. As far as spotting photos go, even under ideal lighting condition and good lens, the Lumix can only do so much with a very small sensor. I decided it was time that I graduate to a different type of camera.

Naturally, I considered the Canon Rebel XTi and the Pentax K10D (Fujifilm does not have entry-level DSLR...instead they go from point-and-shoot to professional grade cameras that will cost me a liver to purchase). Initially, I didn't really consider Nikon simply because the equivalent model costs so much more compare to the Rebel XTi. That was, until Zack introduced me to Thom Hogan's page and I saw the 18-200 mm VR and the 70-300 mm VR.

Taken from DPReview, Nikkor 70-300 mm with VR, for planespotting

Taken from DPReview, Nikkor 18-200 mm with VR, one of the most sought after lens

The 70-300mm will be perfect for planespotting, but the 18-200mm is the general purpose lens...the kind that I can keep on the body for almost any occasion. After reading rave reviews about the 18-200 mm, I went online and looked, and realized that not only is the 18-200 mm sold out everywhere, but places where they do have in stock are selling the lens for 200+ USD above the market price.

So I thought I discovered a tactic to save my money: I decided that if I ever get a hold of the lens at the market price or less, I will buy a Nikon body. For that to happen anytime soon would be impossible, since the lens is backordered for at least six months to a year.

Be careful with what you wish for.

A few days ago, someone from Tallahassee was selling both the D80 body and (I am not joking) the 18-200 mm VR lens. The seller mentioned that the camera was purchased in December 2006, but he currently prefers to have a light camera so he was selling the D80 and everything along with it.

I made him an offer to buy both the lens and the body for less than what he could've sold it for, thinking that he would reject my offer.

After a quick check, the seller wrote back accepting my offer.

Two days later, the D80 and the 18-200 mm VR lens arrived at my apartment. I stared at the boxes for a very long time before I opened it. My very first DSLR.

Learning to capture...all over again


For comparison, here is a photo of a brown pelican taken by the Lumix. The difference in sharpness is astounding.

Now begins a new chapter with a different camera: one that is more temperamental than my Panasonic (whom I will have to sell, since there is no reason for an amateur to have more than one camera). Starting almost from scratch, learning how to take photos and process them all over again...

2 comments:

paperbackhero said...

Dear Panda on a Scooter,

Google sends me posts on all things K10D. Honestly I'm not posting a comment on this camera other than that we both shoot with cameras and have adventures with them. I'm humbled by your posts and observations especially what most of us take as the most benign object in the sky, a distant plane. Passion is funny and how it gets us. And that someone takes the pains to open my eyes up to what should be wonders and awe. To follow and make plans to meet a certain plane from the sky on a ten foot mound in Queens from far places unknowable to us (stop me here). wow. I do funny things too, to chase what tickles my fancy. I am humbled by your passion and sometimes passing Newark airport on the NJ Turnpike at the blink of dawn seeing those beasts floating flaps down talons of tires held out ever so slowly earthward never ceases to hold me in wonderment and awe, spellbound by a moment held still like a balloon crystallized by the dawn.

Jonathan Levi (jonlevi@optonline.net)

Dr. Jaus said...

Hello!
I have the Nikon 18-200 VR and is fantastic for "normal" photos, but not for spotting! I recommend the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 (now with VR). And of course, a Nikon SLR!! (D80, D200,... or D40x!!)