10 June 2007

No photos for a little while

No, it is not because I haven't been taking them. On the contrary, I have some shots from the Atlantis space shuttle launch just two days ago taken about 8 miles from the launch pad. I can't show them to you, because I can't get them off the D80.

The D80 and Navi (my Apple Powerbook G4) do not seem to get along. Recently, Navi decided to just ignore the D80 altogether and refuses to recognize the camera. Period.

I knew there would be problem when I got a female camera. It is universally known that not only are women fussier and high maintenance compare to men, but women generally do not get along with other women. Navi, being the female laptop, got along fine with the Lumix because Mito is a male camera. With the D80, sometimes they talk, sometimes they don't. Now Navi is giving the D80 the silent treatment and I am bereft of my photos. The D80 and Navi refuse to comment on the situation.

Interestingly enough, an older Powerbook that I recently bought from Zack is a male, by the name of Legolas (don't make fun of me, Zack named the computer). Legolas has no problem talking to the D80. But all of my photo editing software is on Navi, so it is a bit painful to transfer files to Legolas (with only USB 1.1 transfer rate) and then mount Legolas as an external drive on Navi, and then transfer from Legolas to Navi.

The cause of this excommunication is under investigation.

Yes, you can say I am insane. But I am sticking to my theory.

8 comments:

Light said...

I think it's funny that you assign genders to items... I just give my stuff names but they're just its ;)

I have this weird problem on Windows where if I leave it on overnight it refuses to recognize USB devices that connect to the system. Maybe you have something similar.

Unknown said...

I'd suggest buying a card reader.. they seem to be more dependable and much faster than directly transferring the photos from the camera.

And what's wrong with naming a computer Legolas??? : )

Ed said...

And don't be silly and buy a USB 1.1 card reader like I did. That was stupid.... It took almost an hour to dump 2 GB worth of pictures. I barely had enough time to get from the wedding ceremony to the reception with a clean card.

Ed said...

And Zack, considering that you left Gandalf without a scouting elf, there's something wrong with you.

Light said...

You can borrow my card reader temporarily if you want to... Just let me know.

Unknown said...

It makes more sense then half the theories I hear in a day, and if you're going to assign name you really do have to assign gender.

kgh said...

isn't it just the hotplug subsystem doesn't have the vendor id and model number in a little table some where to list the usb device as a mass storage device? does it turn up in lspci? is there an /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap of the sort?

Escáner said...

Check the configuration of your D80. Inside menu Settings (wrench) - USB, there are two options. Try the other one. I think Mass Storage would be more compatible.

I also reccomend getting an external card reader. It is more practical than handling the camera.