27 June 2007

Science Of Gaydar

Today on the Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert interviewed David France on his recent article attempting to bring to light that homosexuality is a genetic trait, and not acquired through nurture. An interesting comparison came up during the show which had me and my roommate pausing the DVR to determine whether we are "genetically" gay.

Please direct your attention below:

EXAMPLE C: Digit Proportions (Female)
The index fingers of most straight men are shorter than their ring fingers, and for most women they are the same length or longer. Gay men and lesbians tend to have reversed ratios. (Image and caption taken from NYMag)

Kelley's hand conforms to the heterosexual female model, so she is very happy that the test proved true for her. As for me, well, apparently I'm most likely genetically gay.

*sigh*

Well, I guess it is not too far from the truth. I've always said that I'm a gay boy trapped in a female body.

What the hell does it mean to be feminine and masculine anyway? Aren't both standards made on a per society basis?

Full article can be found here.

3 comments:

Light said...

Sexuality and sexual identity have very little to do with each other at all.

Unknown said...

y hand says I'm straight, which is a surprising thing for it to say given its limited vocabulary.

"I'm a gay boy trapped in a female body." this comment made my day, which apparently isn't hard since its only 6 minutes into my day.

Although I think you'd need props to perform gay boy acts with a man.

Ed said...

I heard that on NPR! Of course, I was also driving at the time and checking out my own hand. The commentator was saying "you know how many car wrecks you're causing right now?"

And sorry to tease; I don't have 'mad connections' to pull off Daft Punk. But I think I could still get fifteen cases at my house. My house.