04 July 2007

Skylog (Rainbow Under The Wing)

Rainbow Beneath The Wing
Date: 28 June 2007
Route: MCO-JFK
Airline: JetBlue Airways
Model: Airbus A320-232
Tail No.: N533JB "Usto Schulz"

I flew on my first Airbus plane a few days ago, en route to New York City to attend my mother's graduation ceremony. The A320s really are quite adorable, and honestly, quieter than the 737 (which I rode to return to MCO a few days later).

The wires sticking out of the pylons and the wingtip are discharge wicks. They release static electricity back into the atmosphere. The static built-up is caused by the friction on the surface of the plane due to constant contact with high velocity wind, akin to rubbing balloon vigorously against your hair/skin.

Though this is not a very good photo, it was one of those moments in my life when I smiled and felt happy to be alive.

No comments: