02 July 2006

Ecuador vs Argentina

Amit and I were talking about the various games at occurred recently at World Cup, and I was in rage when I saw the way the Argentinians behaved after the match. They acted like sore losers, not like a proud team who understands that this is only a game. The Argentinians put up a great offense against Germany, but their behavior after the game shocked me (though it did not surprise Fernando) when they started punching the Germany coaches.

I decided to read the reactions of the Ecuadorian players vs Argentinian players after they lost their qualifying rounds against England and Germany respectively. The differences were astonishing.

Quotes taken from FIFA World Cup: England vs Ecuador and Germany vs Argentina


EcuadorArgentina
Luis VALENCIA - We gave our all on the pitch and I'm happy with the work of all the team. We had a little bit of bad luck today. I think that England could play more offensively.Juan Pablo SORIN - My heart just feels empty because we deserved more than a draw. We did the best we could but we didn’t have any luck. Penalties are a lottery but at the same time they’re part of the game. It would be stupid to blame (Leo) Franco because we’ve got the best keepers in the world, and I’d just like to add that I’m very proud to be part of this team. We’ve got a great side and we can get our revenge in four years' time.
Agustin DELGADO - We showed to the world today that Ecuador have a very good team. We worked step by step in this World Cup but I'm very sad because this is our last game. We were happy here and we enjoyed it.Hernan CRESPO - We played really well and it hurts so much to lose. The boys are really down because we’ve got an exceptional team, we gave it everything we had out there and we deserved so much more. Germany weren't better than us and the game was decided by the smallest of details. For me, we’ve had a disappointing tournament because we’ve been knocked out. That said, I’m very proud to be part of this group. I’m not really bothered who wins it now to be honest. I support Argentina and that’s it.
Giovanny ESPINOZA - We can hold our heads up high because we’ve proved we can play good football. On a personal level, I’ve learned a lot at this tournament.Carlos TEVEZ - Naturally I’m very angry - we’ve just been eliminated. The fact that we played well doesn’t make it feel any better either. They attacked twice and scored a goal but Argentina were the better side. We put in a good performance but it doesn’t mean anything because we lost, and there’s nothing that has happened today that will make me feel any better about it.
van KAVIEDES - Before we came here, the press in Ecuador and elsewhere wrote off our chances. Now I’m sure they’ll have an inquest into what happened and why we’re out.Gabriel HEINZE - It hurts a lot to lose like that. We didn’t deserve it but we gave it all we had. I really don’t know why we lost. And don’t ask me if I think Germany will win the World Cup or not because the truth is I really couldn’t care less.
van HURTADO - I feel very privileged to have experienced all this. We’re a little sad to be going home but we can hold our heads up high when we get there. Now we’ve got to make sure we qualify for South Africa 2010. European teams don’t improvise much. They play a simple, direct game, but they don’t take any risks.Javier MASCHERANO - We tried to play and represent the country as well as we could. I’ve got nothing to say because if you watch the game you’ll see that we were the better team. We showed we’re up there with the best teams in the world, and in my opinion there’s no such a thing as justice in football.
Carlos TENORIO - We weren’t quite up to standard and we weren’t able to go raise our game. I’m happy though, and it doesn’t get any bigger than this for a player. If that shot in the first half hadn’t hit the crossbar, it might have been different, but it’s just a question of luck.Esteban CAMBIASSO - We’re still standing tall. We outclassed them and we can go home with our heads held high.

The difference? Ecuadorians spoke proudly of their achievements and discussed the tactics of their opponent how they can do better for the 2010 game. THEY HAD FUN. The Argentinians? Revenge and bitterness.

Ecuador National Team, I hope you make it to the final round next World Cup. Until the Argentinian players learn that the World Cup really is, JUST A GAME, they do not deserve to win.

No comments: