21 July 2006

Resume From 2001

I transferred to FSU at the beginning of 2001 to major in computer science, after spending a year and a half as a piano performance major back at CCM. Today, while I was packing and going through old stuff, I found my very first resume that I made back in January of 2001, when I attempted to apply for internships/co-ops/jobs in a field that at the time, I knew virtually nothing about (beyond how to write command line C++ programs learned back from my high school days).

My objective paragraph for my first resume surprised me somewhat, as I realized that even though my path through computer science was not exactly linear (as I've staggered my way from networking to device drivers to graphics to computer vision), my goal now is the same one that I had set for myself five years ago. Here was my objective back in 2001:

To be a renaissance man; to work either software development in aviation/aeronautics (NASA, Boeing) or in graphics-oriented companies (PIXAR) for computer animation; to be able to speak as many intercontinental languages as possible; to improve technology of music restoration from turn-of-the-century media...and everything else possible in my lifespan and abilities, hopefully.

Man, I was an optimistic sop.

The Mur made an amusing comment that the average between NASA and Boeing is Northrop Grumman, the company I will work for in three weeks. So essentially, I have fulfilled my goal. For now. I probably never should have deviated from my love of aviation, but at least so far my adventure through the different fields of computer science has been an amusing ride.

No comments: